Saturday, April 17, 2010

Garlic in a Jar

A few weeks ago, I bought crushed garlic in a jar.  I know it's so wrong.  But bear with me and follow the logic.

We were out of garlic.  I haven't been able to get to the farmer's market.  I tried three different markets, including Fairway, but could only find garlic grown in China.  I just couldn't do it.  If you are interested in more information about the impact of garlic imports on US garlic production, click here.

I bought a bottle of Christopher Ranch crushed garlic that's grown in Gilroy, California.  It's convenient and has pretty good flavor.  It's mellower than fresh garlic, but has a sweetness and softness that reminds me of garlic that's been simmered or baked.

Soon farmer's markets will be extending their hours and the CSA season will begin.  There will be lovely garlic scapes, radishes and greens!  Happy Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment